Buttermilk Biscuits and Andouille Cream Gravy Recipe
Nothing like an amazing plate of biscuits and gravy.
Andouille is a spicy sausage link created in the River Parishes area by French and German settlers. The spicy, full-bodied sausage is often cured in wooden smokehouses, and recipes for the delicacy can span generations. Sample some links throughout Louisiana’s Andouille Trail, or stop by Spuddy’s Cajun Foods & Cajun Cooking Experience, located in Vacherie.
This Louisiana twist on traditional biscuits and gravy uses andouille sausage to liven up the average biscuits and gravy recipe. It adds a tasty kick with a bit of spice — a lagniappe, or a little something extra. Discover even more recipes from our partner Louisiana Kitchen and Culture Magazine.
Ingredients for Buttermilk Biscuits:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1 1/3 cups cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Andouille cream gravy (recipe follows)
- Sliced green onions, for garnish
Method of Preparation:
- Preheat oven to 475ºF.
- Place a 10-inch cast-iron griddle or skillet in the oven to heat.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a box grater, quickly grate cold butter over flour mixture, stirring with a fork to combine. Add cold buttermilk and stir until just combined; dough will be sticky. Transfer to a floured work surface, sprinkle with a little flour and knead 3 to 4 times; shape into a long roll.
- Remove hot griddle from oven; add remaining butter and swirl to melt and coat.
- Working with about ½ cup dough at a time, pinch off pieces and roll gently in your hands to shape. Arrange on hot greased skillet with sides just touching; transfer to oven and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Split biscuits in half and serve hot with Andouille cream gravy; garnish with green onions. Makes about 8 large biscuits.
Note: Preheating and greasing the griddle will produce biscuits with a crisp bottom; if you prefer softer biscuits, don’t preheat the griddle.
Andouille Cream Gravy Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces andouille sausage, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half & half
- salt and pepper
Method of Preparation:
- Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the butter and melt. Add sausage and onion; sauté until vegetables are softened, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, garlic powder and cayenne, if using. Sprinkle flour over mixture and stir to combine; cook, stirring constantly, until roux begins to brown and flour smells toasty.
- Gradually whisk in half & half; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Taste; add salt and pepper as desired. Makes about 4 cups.
Note: Biscuits can be split and toasted to warm up for latecomers; gravy can be kept warm in a slow cooker.