Chicken, Andouille and Shrimp Jambalaya Recipe
Try this savory Louisiana rice dish jam-packed with spice and flavor.
Whip up this extremely tasty recipe for jambalaya using Louisiana shrimp, andouille sausage and chicken. Jambalaya is an extremely popular dish influenced by Spanish and French cultures. It consists of meat, vegetables and rice and—let's be honest—it's the perfect comfort food!
Ingredients for Chicken, Andouille and Shrimp Jambalaya:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
- 2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1½ cups onion, chopped
- 1½ cups celery, chopped
- 1½ cups green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups long-grain rice
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 1½ pounds large fresh Louisiana shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Chopped green onion for garnish
Method of Preparation:
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat; add sausage and chicken and cook about 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion, celery and bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, stirring for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add rice and stir about 3 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Add tomatoes and stir until juices are absorbed. Add broth, thyme and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, paprika, cayenne and parsley. Add shrimp to rice mixture and stir until combined. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Garnish with green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.
This recipe was provided by Louisiana Cookin' Magazine.