Historic Districts & Sites in Natchitoches Louisiana
Louisiana has the most colorful history of any state and of many countries. Beginning long before the Louisiana Purchase, our state took shape in prehistoric times. We have had a past of many battles, on the battlefield and in the political arena. Louisiana's architecture is a lasting impression of French and Spanish rule. Today, there are many reminders of the past in our museums, plantations, historic sites and attractions.
The City of Natchitoches is the heart of Natchitoches Parish. Founded in 1714 the site was established near a village of Natchitoches Indians. As the oldest permanent settlement in the Louisiana Purchase territory, its history is also a story of the development of our nation.
The City’s Historic Landmark District, which fronts Cane River Lake and encompasses a 33-block area, includes many historic homes, churches and commercial structures. A mixture of Queen Anne and Victorian architecture, along with Creole style cottages can be seen throughout the district.
People settled in the Natchitoches area in large numbers after the Louisiana Purchase. Eventually, however, the river changed its course, bypassing Natchitoches. What was once known as the Red River is now Cane River Lake.
Nationally recognized as a Preserve America Community, a Distinctive Destination and a Great American Main Street, Natchitoches is a genuine heritage destination.