Los Adaes State Historic Site
The Spanish Mission of San Miguel de los Adaes was founded in 1716 to convert the Caddo Adai American Indians in the area and to stop French expansion into Spanish Texas. In 1729, Los Adaes was designated the capital of Texas and served as such until 1770. The fort was built in response to the French Fort St. Jean Baptiste; the two outposts were directly linked during their existence, engaging extensive, illegal trade. Located on the El Camino Real de las Tejas National Historic Trail.