Autrey House Museum


8297-8201, LA-151
Dubach LA 71270

The Absalom Autrey house is an example of the log dog trot, the most common traditional house type of the early north Louisiana hill country. Built in 1849 and belived to be the oldest surviving structure in Lincoln parish, the hand-hewn log house with square notches has an open central hall, with two rooms on each side and a sleepong loft above. The original ironstone chimney on the est still stands. the stairs to the loft have been replaced. Behind the house is the family cemetery, where Absalom Autrey and his first wife Elizabeth Norris and second wife Kezia McCalla, along with other family members and slaves are buried.


General Information
  • Free Admission